"What do I talk about when I talk about running" Haruki Murakami

Before reaching for this book my only contact with Murakami was reading his "Norwegian Wood"; and, although I heard a lot good about him, I have to say I was not too impressed with it. However, when I heard that Murakami is a passionate runner and that he wrote a book on the subject -- I just had to read it.

And I'm glad I did. The book is very non-pretensions and presents loosely connected thoughts of the author on running and the role it plays in his life. He's a fairly serious runner (running around 60km per week in 6 sessions, on average and running a marathon per year). It's been a while since I read this book so I don't remember the details, but if you are into running I think it's a good read. Let me conclude with some quotes from the book that I particularly liked.

My time was awful [...]. There are three reasons I failed. Not enough training. Not enough training. And not enough training.
The gym where I work out in Tokyo has a poster that says, 'Muscles are hard to get and easy to lose. Fat is easy to get and hard to lose'. A painful reality, but a reality all the same
I'm often asked what I think about as I run. Usually the people who ask this have never run long distances themselves. I always ponder this question. What exactly do I think about when I'm running? I don't have a clue.
In long-distance running the only opponent you have to beat is yourself, the way you used to be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budapest, marathon

My goals for... the lifetime.

Week 19 & 20, 2012